Tuesday 13 January 2009

Variations on a theme.

Cropping a photograph is one of the hardest of my post-production tasks, but it can also be one of the most revealing.

My photo-manipulation software allows me to zoom into the picture on the screen and, in many instances, it offers – purely by chance – a whole new perspective on the photograph itself: details – previously unnoticed – can command a new prominence; physical and facial aspects can be changed, altered and re-defined. It’s when something strikes me in that way that I tend to get lost for hours in manipulating the image in question – often with some striking results.

The following pictures are all re-workings of the first image; one of my favourite models, Rachael. Though nothing of Rachael’s pose or expression changes, I think each alternative rendering has its own appeal.

Rachael





No comments: