Thursday 11 November 2021

Torch-er

 I love photography!

I love its intimacy. I love its simplicity and, at the same time, I love getting into all the technical aspects - such a huge part of the art.

But, occasionally, I find the best way to pass a few hours is just to play.😁

So, it was a wet, grey day, and I wasn't going anywhere. I came away from the window and a vase in my sitting room caught my eyes; it was a pretty basic thing, light blue in colour.

I picked it up and examined it for a while. Then I cleared a little space on the dining room table and placed it there.

With still life objects, I usually take an LED torch I carry and run around it just to see how the light plays on it. Then, if I see something that interests me, I'll set up backgrounds lighting, etc. But on this occasion, I simply made an infinity background with a dark jacket. Then I set the camera on a tripod, set it to manual, and dialled in the settings to lose the ambient light. From there, I put the camera on a timer and began playing the torch over the vase.

I was done in under two hours and was really pleased with the results.

Camera, coat, torch and vase. Simplicity itself.






I took the first image, above, and added a few textures in PSP, and got this.


Please feel free to comment.

You can find more in my Flickr page.  flickr.com



No comments: