Sunday 7 November 2010

Prom Night

I'm not sure I like all this '51st State' shananigans we're importing from over the pond: MacDonalds is bad enough, but now our traditional qualifying dances (well that's what they were when I was a boy) have been usurped by 'Prom Nights'; complete with dress and floral wrist corsage.

Well, OK, I admit, I do love it really (though i'd like my reluctance noted for posterity); the gowns are simply spectacular and, in full dressage, the girls who wear these gorgeous creations assume all the singular aspect of walking works of art.

So, it should come as no surprise that I jumped at the chance to shoot a little prom Dress series for a local Dress Shop.

The lighting was pretty simple: two softboxes at 45 degrees camera left (f/8) and right (f/5) and a hair light, camera right (f/8), behind the girls.

The backdrop was purchased for an earlier shoot at a charity event. It doesn't look like much when it's hanging, but with light on it, it magically changes. I added a couple of curtains and tie-backs and the little stand with flowers for what, I hope, is a nice effect - considering the constraints of the studio.

The models - Caitlin, Metja, Sam, Charlie and Nicola were all courtesy of www.firststepmodels.co.uk Make-up by Nicola. Hair by Allyson.





No comments: